Welcome to Year 5
5CF - Mr Fletcher, Mrs Sidhu
5CT - Mrs Tsang, Mrs McCreesh
Learning Mentor - Mr Strong
Year 5 have been creating sculptures based on the work of Veronica Richterova using recycled plastic.
Welcome to Year 5 and hopefully the start of a brilliant year ahead. Your teachers are really happy to have you in our classes this year and we know how amazing you will all be! We have got lots of exciting learning, trips and experiences planned throughout the year and can’t wait to share them with you!
This terms topic will be Global Warming
The children will learn how global warming is having a significant effect on our planet in Geography. We’ll be continuing our topic and learning about the impact humans are having on different parts of our planet.
In Science, we’ll learn about where Earth is in relation to other planets in our solar system and exploring other parts of our universe.
Our DT focus this half term will link to our science topic and we will be exploring moon buggies. We’ll learn about their functions, how they’re made and using our construction skills to build our own moon buggy.
This half term our writing will be focused on non-fiction texts. We’ll start by learning the difference between autobiographies and biographies and their features before writing our own. We’ll also be developing our skills in ‘hooking in the reader’ when we learn about news reports.
In reading, we will continue to focus on retrieval, prediction and inference skills in our reading sessions. We will also take a deep dive into poetry, exploring different genres and applying our retrieval skills to help deepen our understanding.
How can you help?
- Encourage your child to access their study ladder account to practice vocabulary and grammar skills.
- Ask your child to summarise what has happened in the book so far. This is a helpful way to develop their understand of the ideas and support comprehension skills.
- Encourage your child to practice their spellings each week.
We will be using and applying our multiplication and division skills before beginning our fractions topic. We’ll be learning to find fractions of amounts, recognise equivalent fractions and convert fractions and mixed numbers.
How can you help?
- Encourage your child to access times table rockstars as much as possible.
- You can support your child’s maths by asking them to explain what they are learning or asking them to teach a strategy they have learnt with fractions.
Year 5 Upcoming Experiences
Global Warming Topic (Autumn)
-Local area walk (15th September)
- Global warming expert visitor
Vikings Topic (Spring)
-Murton Park Trip
Tudor’s topic (Summer)
-Kirkstall Abbey Tudor workshop
-Local area walk (seasonal changes)