Welcome to Year 3
2LC - Mrs Chandler, Miss Palmer
3NH - Mr Hext, Mrs Jheeta
Catch-up Recovery Teacher - Mrs Morris
Learning Mentor - Mrs Smickersgill
Year 3 Geography trip to Leeds City Centre.
Welcome to Year 3 and the start of a wonderful year. Your teachers are really happy to have you in our classes this year and we know how amazing you will all be! We have got lots of exciting learning, trips and experiences planned throughout the year and can’t wait to share them with you.
This term's topic will be 'Would you rather live in Leeds or Marseille?'
This term we will continue to make comparisons between Leeds and Marseille. We will start by learning about ports and canals to develop our understanding of human features of places. We will revisit our learning of points on a compasses from Year 2. We will learn about the chronology of each city and compare how and when Leeds and Marseille were built. In DT, we will research, design and create Christmas-themed photograph frames. We will learn about Forces and Magnets in our Science lessons where we will expand our vocabulary when learning about how objects move.
We will be reading Libby and the Parisian Puzzle by Jo Clarke. We will focus on high-quality partner reading and developing our VIPERS skills.
We will be focusing on writing narratives this half term, using 5 story parts. We will use a range of Anthony Browne texts, starting with The Tunnel as inspiration.
How can you help?
- Encourage your child to read every day. This is the biggest way you can make an impact to your child and their progress. It really does make a difference! Have conversations with your child, encouraging them to use ambitious vocabulary.
- If your child slows down to decode a new word, ask them to read the sentence again to focus on fluency and understanding.
- Encourage your child to speak in full sentences, this will help with their writing!
We will learn how to use column method to solve addition and subtraction calculations. We will then move on to multiplication and division, with a focus on learning and consolidating the 4x, 8x and 3x.
How can you help?
- Practise multiplication tables with your child and encourage their use of Times Tables Rockstars.
- Ask them quick addition and subtraction recall questions. How fast can they be?
Year 3 Upcoming Experiences
Leeds and Marseille Topic (Autumn)
- Visit to Leeds city centre (September)
Stone Age Topic (Spring)
- Trip to Herd Farm
Greeks Topic (Summer)
- Greek Day with pottery workshop