Welcome to Year 2
2DP - Mrs Prince, Mrs Buxton
2SS - Mrs Spaven, Mrs Burnham
Nurture support - Mrs Clayton
Learning Mentor - Mrs Smickersgill
Welcome to Year 2! In year 2 we love learning! We will strive to make learning as exciting and as memorable as possible. We insists on good manners and just want children to always try their very best! All staff are here to support the children’s learning and to ensure the children feel happy and safe at school. As a team we are completely committed to your child’s learning and are here to support you too! Please speak to us regarding any questions or concerns you have at any point!
This terms topic will be 'Our Local Area – Bramley and Kirkstall.'
This term we will be learning about the history of Kirkstall Abbey. We will be learning who used the Abbey, what it was used for, when it was built and how it was destroyed.
We will continue to learn about our local area and will use old photographs to compare how our local area looked in the past.
In Science we will continue our learning on materials and will be carrying out simple tests to investigate the properties of different materials. We will also be using our outdoor environment to observe seasonal changes.
In English we are learning about traditional tales. We will be reading lots of original traditional tales as well as some fun alternative versions! We will be planning and writing our own stories and trying to include adjectives to describe characters and settings. We will also be learning to include conjunctions such as -and, so, but, and because to extend our sentences. We will be proofreading our own writing and trying to think of ways to improve it.
Practise writing fun stories with your child at home about anything they are interested in!
In Reading we will be reading familiar stories to develop our reading fluency and will be learning to answer questions about what we have read. We will be reading a range of traditional tales and will be sequencing events and making links.
How can you help?
- Re-read familiar texts to really improve your child’s reading fluency.
- Practise orally retelling familiar stories such as fairy tales with your child.
- Please practise writing sentences with your child about anything they are interested in. Check their sentences have capital letters, finger spaces, full stops and correct letter formation.
We will be learning to use our knowledge on number bonds to develop our addition and subtraction skills.
After that, we will look at 2-D and 3-D shapes, including: counting sides, edges and faces and identifying lines of symmetry.
How can you help?
- Please practice counting with your child both forward and backwards. You can use objects around the house to help. Encourage your child to recognise any numbers from their environment and talk about the tens and ones. E.g. 63 has six tens and three ones.
- Whilst walking or driving to school practise counting in 2s, 5s and 10s.
Year 2 Upcoming Experiences
Autumn trip to Kirkstall Abbey – Geography/Art
Spring trip to York railway museum – History
Spring trip to a Church and a Mosque – RE
Spring trip to Abbey House Museum – History
Summer trip to Whitby – Geography/History